Announcing Conversation and Community: The Social Web for Documentation!

I’m so pleased to tell you that my book is available now from Amazon.com and BarnesandNobles.com and for sale in Austin, Texas at BookWoman on North Lamar. Published by XML Press, this book was fun to write, difficult to finish, and a dream come true for me, a kid who read 500 books in a school year in the second grade. I love books and I love this book especially. But I do want to keep improving it with blog entries here and responses to honest and thorough reviews, even negative ones.

This sample chapter is available (by direct PDF download or on Scribd) to start the conversation and I invite you to comment here or on Scribd.
Free Chapter Conversation and Community

If you’re here in Austin, I’m working on scheduling some book signings at local bookstores, and be on the lookout for an invitation to a book release party in the next few months! I want to share my excitement.

And lastly, I have to thank my blog readers – you are collectively loyal, smart, funny, and engaging. I couldn’t have written this book without you.

• July 31, 2009 - 7:54 am | Permalink

congrats!

• July 31, 2009 - 8:27 am | Permalink

Thanks Adam! You’ll recognize much of the material about Book Sprints in this free chapter. :) Your print copy is on the way to you, and I hope you enjoy it.

• Pingback: The blog is dead. Long live the blog! « Who repairs the cobblestone?

• Pingback: Conversation and Community: The Social Web for Documentation is out now | Will Sansbury

• August 1, 2009 - 1:46 pm | Permalink

Congratulations! And right on time (mid-2009 :0)

• August 1, 2009 - 9:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks Janet! Yep, nothing like July 31 2009 to hit that “mid-2009″ deadline! :)

• August 3, 2009 - 2:42 am | Permalink

Can’t wait until I can get hold of this (still no sign of it in the UK :( )

From previous comments and posts, I’m itching to read this as it already sounds like you’ve taken some of the rough ideas floating around in my head, fleshed them out and, and this is the hard bit, pulled them together into a cohesive story!

• August 3, 2009 - 7:28 am | Permalink

Hi Anne,

Just got confirmation from Amazon that they’ve shipped a copy of your book to my home in the Netherlands. Hope it won’t take to long to get there, because I’m really looking forward in reading it.

Cheers,

Patrick

• August 3, 2009 - 9:06 am | Permalink

Hi Gordon – We specifically waited to launch until it was available in the UK. XML Press confirmed it is available on Amazon.com in the U.S., France, Germany, Canada, UK, and Japan… so can you check again and let us know if you still don’t see it? Thanks! We’ll get a copy to you somehow, I promise. :)
    Anne

• August 3, 2009 - 10:32 am | Permalink

Hi Patrick – that’s great!

Amazon must be popular in the Netherlands, the country with highest percentage of households in the European Union with home internet connections! :)

Do let me know what you think of it, I am excited to start discussions about the book’s contents.

• August 4, 2009 - 6:36 am | Permalink

Just ordered my copy. It’s officially on my IBM Individual Development Plan (so now I really HAVE TO read it).

• August 4, 2009 - 10:06 am | Permalink

That’s great, Mike! I’m honored. I think you can start a great trend at IBM with this idea! ;)

• August 8, 2009 - 10:04 am | Permalink

Just received my copy in the mail today! First impression is that it looks great. And now…I will turn the page and start at chapter one Towards the Future of Documentation ;-)

Cheers,

Patrick

ps…I think it is also great that you share all the links in the book with us on delicous.com. Thanks!

• Pingback: Getting content into and out of wikis « ffeathers — a technical writer’s blog