What are you up to this summer?

Less talk. More do.

I’ll be blogging less this summer and trying to gain more hands-on experience with building social, community-based user experiences around documentation. I’m wrapping up some contracts this month and starting an exciting new one with a wee bit of overlap.

So let’s just say there’s lots to do besides blogging.

And, my kids are at such fun ages (well, I do think all kids ages are fun). Take a look at this Zhu-Zhu pet flying transporter my son made with pipe cleaners, wooden clothespins, rubber bands, and some paint and markers. With this kind of creativity swirling around, I want to join in at craft time!

Less bark. More wag.

I could take the bait and comment on a post about women in management roles in technical communication, but I’ve decided against it. I’ve said it before, I am who I am, and that happens to be a woman, spouse, and parent. Besides, Mark Fidelman over at MindTouch is tearing up the blogging scene with great saber-rattling, make-you-think posts about the future and present for technical communication. Complete with infographics, these are not to be missed.

How about you? Whatchadoin’ this summer? There’s a hundred and four days of summer vacation, you know. (Not really for us, but kudos if you know the song lyric reference.) I plan to make the most of some great opportunities that have come my way.

• June 8, 2010 - 11:16 am | Permalink

This summer, we’re shifting to Agile so I’m studying and cramming like it’s SAT time all over again. Toward that goal, we’re also investigating ways to create tech docs in ways that support the kind of community you’re promoting. So far, it’s been a fun project.

Enjoy your summer “off”!

• June 10, 2010 - 6:50 am | Permalink

Anne, why aren’t you relaxing like the rest of the world? You’re setting a bad example for everyone in the TC community!

Seriously, Aaron and I have a bunch of things planned for which we’re ramping up our knowledge of various technologies, techniques, and ideas. We’re also trying to polish our presentation/speaking skills a little more (a lot of work there!). On my side, I’m embarking on some paid blogging and a couple of other writing projects.

No rest for the wicked …

• June 10, 2010 - 10:49 am | Permalink

Phineas and Ferb – Yeah! If only we were as productive and ready to let go of our creations as they are!

• June 10, 2010 - 10:52 am | Permalink

Yeah! You win a working time machine! Except a dinosaur stomped on it and you have to go back in time to get it! :)

• June 10, 2010 - 9:12 pm | Permalink

We LOVE P&F in this household. Bowling for Soup! Thanks for the gig. LOL.

You must not do less blogging! Your fans will be sad. :-(

• Pingback: AODC 2010 day 2: Engaging your readers in the documentation « ffeathers — a technical writer’s blog

• June 13, 2010 - 12:44 am | Permalink

Hallo Anne

That’ll be the day! You taking it easy, that I have to see. ;)

I’ve been attending a couple of conferences, and will be at a couple more in September and October. Things are pretty busy all round. On top of that, it’s winter here down under!

Anyway, I thought I’d drop in and let you know that I’ve referred to your book in my recent presentation at AODC 2010, on engaging readers in the documentation. I’ve posted the slides and a summary on my blog:

Just a few days ago I gave a related presentation at the Atlassian Summit conference. I referred to your book and twitip article in that talk too. The slides and video will be posted sometime soon on the Atlassian web site. I’ll blog about it when that happens.

Have a great summer. It’ll be my turn to snigger at your winter in 6 months or so. :)

Cheers
    Sarah

• June 14, 2010 - 3:16 pm | Permalink

Hallo Sarah, thanks for being my reminder that it isn’t summer (seasonally) all over the place! And I just had a call with a Sydney resident last week which should have reminded me of how frigid it is for you all. :)

And I do appreciate your mention of my book (twice!) and those great write ups from AODC – I love how a summary post (or half dozen) can bring all us bloggers on the same page/screen as it were. Well done!