Last spring I wrote up a blog entry pointing out some additional technical documentation wikis to add to a list I had in my “Wiki-fy Your Doc Set” presentation. A recent Twitter request asking for technical documentation wiki examples brings me back to both lists to try to compile an even longer, more updated list. These are in no particular order and the links were tested in August 2010. Other wikis are behind support logins but this list offers wikis that can be viewed without a login.
- All of the manuals on FLOSS Manuals site are authored and displayed in a customized Twiki wiki.
- Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) has many documentation wikis. The OpenDS Wiki offers a nice example. Also all the OpenOffice documentation is available on a wiki.
- Mozilla Developer Network
- Adobe Labs wiki
- Splunk product documentation
- Atlassian product documentation, specifically the Confluence documentation
- Firefox Support Knowledgebase
- Second Life In fact, they single-source their embedded online help with the wiki as source.
- IBM developerWorks Wiki
- The MSDN Library from Microsoft offers many wiki-like features.
- Embarcadero RAD Studio wiki is actually 9 wikis, read the manager’s blog entry about it.
- WebWorks Documentation Wiki
- Tideway (now BMC Atrium Discovery) documentation
Finally, if you are considering a wiki for technical documentation, I recommend reading my post, Hurdles and Hardships using Wikis for Documentation, reading Sarah Maddox’s blog, buying my book, and sharing your experiences with others. Here’s to enjoying the wiki journey.